Although most people rank public speaking as their biggest fear (even before death!), it is singlehandedly one of the fastest ways to create your own authority and influence in your field.
Ah, influence, it’s such a magic word in todays marketing landscape. Instagram influence, social media influencer! Really what does it mean?? It means people see you!! In the infinite noise that is social media YOU are standing out!
How do you create that type of influence? Well for myself and many others I know, it has been through public speaking. Public speaking could be speaking at a live event, being a guest on a podcast, joining as a panelist for a live or online summit. There are so many ways to put yourself out there to show what you know.
So, how do you get started?
- Declare to the Universe you are READY! Seriously. When you clearly define what you need and want, opportunities present themselves to you.
- Set a goal and write it down. How many events could you speak at in 90 days?
- Grab a pen and paper and start a list of potential opportunities to speak at.
- local or online networking events
- live or online summits
- check-out meetup for local events that host speakers
- Facebook groups with your ideal clients
- host your own events
- health & wellness events
- Make an ask on your Facebook page and in any groups you are in to see if anyone is looking for speakers or guests.
- Now that you have your list, create a short bio of no more than 150 words and get a good quality photo ready that event planners can use for marketing and advertising.
- Then start reaching out to the people that are hosting events on your list! Share your topic and why it would be relevant to their audience. If it’s someone who runs a Facebook group, make sure you have been active and showing up in the group before reaching out.
Viola! Watch your calendar start booking out.
Next, it’s time to prepare for your talk. Above all else remember to share your story. The story of why you do what you do, and the pivotal moment that brought you to start your business. Human beings crave connection at their core. Each member in the audience will listen to your story to FEEL how it relates to their own life and experiences. That is how you create know, like and trust.
In a 15-minute talk you could structure it like this: 5 minutes of your story, 8 minutes of teaching and adding value (show what you know) and 2 minutes of wrap up.
Many event organizers will not allow selling from stage so here are some great techniques to have people connect with you after.
- If the event has gift bags you can add a pamphlet or business card.
- Buy a short domain name and redirect it to your Facebook group. At the end of your presentation invite people to join and give them the URL. Joinmds.com
- Give away a freebie such as a 20-minute consult or a ticket to your next event.
After your talk, make yourself accessible. Don’t hide or leave right away. Answer questions, connect, get people in your calendar to connect further.
Within 24 hours of the event send a thank you email to the organizer. Ask if they would be willing to give you a short testimonial that you can use on your website.
Some last tips…
Share the events on your personal pages. This is part of what grows your influence and it makes you a good promotional partner, so the event planner will want you back again.
At the event don’t wear those ugly white name tags. You’ll be introduced on stage, so you don’t need a name tag.
Have someone there take photos of you if the event doesn’t already have a photographer taking photos.
BREATHE, BE YOURSELF, most of all have FUN!!